The four principles of the EYFS
Each principle has a commitment and how it can be put into practice. The four themes are based on these principles.
- Every child is a competent learner from birth and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured.
- Children learn to be strong and independent, based on loving and secure relationships with parent/carer and/or key person
- The environment plays a key role in supporting and extending children's development and learning
- Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates, and all areas of learning and development are equally important and inter-connected
- In the learning and development there are seven different areas. The first three are 'Prime Areas' and the other four are called 'Specific Areas'
Seven areas of learning and development
- Personal, social and emotional
- Physical development
- Communication and language
- Understanding the world
- Expressive arts and design